Monday, September 1, 2008

Serving Others

Dear Ladies,

Sorry about the blank email. I hit something and off it went.

Taking care of an elderly parent is much the same as caring for little children. First you get them settled and comfy and then you clean the kitchen. Then you walk them around for exercise and then do a load of laundry. But no matter an elderly parent or a child it is a joy to care for someone, to show someone you really love them by laying down your life and serving them.

I'm so glad I decided to make the journey to Illinois to be with my in-laws. It has given my father-in-law a chance to get out and a break from doing everything alone. It has given me a chance to give back to two people who have countless times helped me out. And it has given my children a chance to see love in action.

For some people acts of service is the way they show love(their love language), but for others it doesn't come as easily. But for all of us there can be pure joy in helping a friend. Whether a simple dinner or keeping a family of 5 extra children for a month, the act of service brings blessing to both the giver and receiver. During times of sorrow or pain in your own life the best way to forget you troubles is to serve someone else. Who will you serve today? Start with your husband and do something extra for him. It will be a great way to show him your love.

The kids did some fishing yesterday with their cousin(who visited for the weekend) and the 2 girls learned how to clean a fish. So today we are having a fish fry.

The town we are in has a beautiful park, so we have gone to play twice. They have "the best playground in the world" according to my youngest boy.

Thank you for all the kind responses to my last letter, it was great to hear from you. For those of you in MOPS I look forward to seeing you Friday.

Blessings to all,
Melissa

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Split Decisionz